On 2/7/06, z0mbix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 2/7/06, Sven Wolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > >Don't forget the wrap:
> > >
> > >http://www.pcengines.ch/wrap.htm
> > >
> > >They're slightly cheaper than the soekris. I use one with 3.8 and it runs
> > as
> > >a cable router/firewall and runs ipsec between home and work.
> > >

> > Hi z0mbix,
> >
> > how did you install OpenBSD on a wrap? Like:
> > http://wiki.bsdforen.de/index.php/OpenBSD_-_WRAP and the links on the
> > bottom (websites of Jonathan Weiss & Thomas Kaschwig)
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Sven
> >

> Yes, I just followed information from the websites of Jonathan Weiss &
> Thomas Kaschwig. I didn't have any success with pxebooting, but I gather
> someone has got that working now with a later bios version. Search the
> archives if you want to find out more about this. I couldn't be happier with
> my OpenBSD wrap setup.

This might a little late/offtopic, but has anyone tried using flashing
a commercial router? Via my work on PSP homebrews I just stumbled upon
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/ahman/. It seems like all it is is a
disk image that then gets written direct to whatever counts as a
harddrive in those routers. Now I'm wondering if that is how all
commercial routers work (it would seem to make sense...). In that case
you could create a tempory mfs drive in RAM, fdisk and disklabel it,
copy the install sets for OpenBSD on it, and then use dd to save it to
a disk image for ready uploading. You could set up sshd (which is the
standard install anyway) and do further config via it.
The troubles I can see are:
+you'd have you figure out a way to make it bring up the
interfaces/bridges on boot without knowing what driver they use, and
thus what name they get (perhaps a rc.local script that runs down all
available interfaces and does ifconfig $IF 192.168.0.1 up on them
all).
+the router might use some sort of checksumming in order to insure
firmware files are not corrupt so you'd have to figure out what the
format of the firmware files is.

Commercial routers generally run for 50$ here in Canada (or cheaper if
you're lucky: I'm using a 3$ one right now in fact) which is cheaper
than Soekris and WRAP and any of the other options, and they are much
more plentiful as well.

Does anyone see any problems with this idea? Suggestions? I have 3
useless commercial routers sitting around right now but if I could get
OpenBSD on them they could be awesome.

-Kousu