Theodore Wynnychenko <t...@uchicago.edu> wrote:

> So, to do this, I edited the appropriate terminal line in /etc/ttys to a
> custom
> entry defined in /etc/gettytab; then added an entry to /etc/gettytab, using
> 'lo:' to point to a ksh script which (basically) looks at the input given to
> getty, and if it contains a specific username, runs "/usr/bin/login -f root" -
> if the user name entered is something different, the ksh script runs -> exec
> /usr/bin/login "$@" <- which allows any other user to login with a password.

Yes it is the unveil of /usr/bin/login specifically, rather than the
variable 'LO' which is

gettytab.h:#define      LO      gettystrs[10].value

which is initialized by calling gettable() not just the first time,
but also later.  That picks up the change, but it is too late it is
after unveil() has locked the filesystem space down.

So we'll need to consider softening the unveil position, or removing
the obscure feature which no longer works.