Hello Nick,

actually, this is the way I did it :)

Machine is already migrated - it took less then 2hrs (I remember when i built it last year it took almost whole weekend ) ...

On 11/19/18 2:29 PM, Nick Holland wrote:
On 11/17/18 15:13, Martin Sukany wrote:
Hi,

I want to migrate OpenBSD 6.4 (stable) from VM to bare metal. I see, as
usual, two options:

1) install everything from scratch
2) create some flashimage (I did such thing on Solaris few years ago)
and apply the image on new hw.

I'd be glad for any personal experience / recommendations.

NOTE: Server is not so important so downtime is not a problem here
I'm going to suggest option 3...

3) Restore from backup.

You got a backup, right?  You think it works, right?  Here's /THE/ time
to find out.

I have done image migrations (dd partition->file, dd file->partition),
I've done complete rebuilds, and they all work if done properly.
OpenBSD is easier than most other OSs, regardless of how you do it, if
you understand all the pieces.

But really, this is when you get to test your backup.  And, this should
be the lowest down-time -- you can fully test the new system (AND FIX
YOUR BACKUP PROCESS) before you flip the switch.

Nick.