On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 1:51 PM Olivier Taïbi <o...@olitb.net> wrote:

> Sorry about the wrong report, I just tested again and I can see the same
> behaviour with OpenBSD 6.4: sending SIGTERM to the sh process after
> launching sh -c 'sleep 1000' does not result in sh sending a SIGTERM to
> the sleep process.

Hmm, why should it?  If you wanted to kill whatever processes where started
from that invocation, shouldn't you send SIGTERM to the process group?

> Philip, what was your test?

 : morgaine; sh -c 'while :; do :; done' &
[3] 16632
: morgaine; kill 16632
[3] - Terminated           sh -c "while :; do :; done"
: morgaine;
: morgaine; sh -c 'while :; do sleep 1; done' &
[3] 59539
: morgaine; kill 59539
: morgaine;
[3] - Terminated           sh -c "while :; do sleep 1; done"
: morgaine;

sh itself doesn't ignore SIGTERM, but rather exits after receiving it.

Philip Guenther