Thanks Arnaud - I understand that it's not a stateful protocol/failover.
It's interesting from the standpoint that if I lose a specific box acting
as a router I would recover and maintain the route via the affected
carrier. A few minutes of outage for carp and BGP to come up is better than
a prolonged outage until equipment is replaced.

Max