On 01/04/19 10:04, Mihai Popescu wrote
sysutils/testdisk is very good.
No success with that. It looks like all partitioning information has vanished. I don't know partitioning at bit level so I cannot try more. If anyone succeded with this kind of overwrite, or if there is any chance to recover something, please write it here.

Wiping the first 1mb of almost any file system can completely destroy it.
FAT and (to a great extent) NTFS keep all the vital information
at the beginning.
Unix-derived UFS, FFS, ext2,3,4 file systems spread most of the information
enough to allow recovery of most of the files after such a disaster.

Some triage - sorry but I've lost the beginning of this thread.

Since most sticks are preformatted as FAT32 that's what I'm assuming

The root directory and the information linking the
blocks of each file together are in the first part of the disk.
In the best case a sufficiently smart
program could find the -first- data block of files which were -not- in
the root directory. I don't know of any such program but there may be one.

If the file(s) are not editable text, assume it's impossible in most cases.

If any file on the stick has been modified or deleted since it was new
and any new data written recovery is much harder since data are now
scattered and interposed.
Assume it's impossible unless you have very great need and a lot of time.

If there was only one file on the stick, it was a text file and it was a
new stick, everything but the first 100-500k or so might be recovered by
   dd if=stick of=recoveredjunk \
        count=<estimated size in 512byte blocks + 1000>
and then editing recoveredjunk

If there were multiple text files, add all their estimated sizes together
If it's all text you *might* be able to reassemble them by editing the file.
Good luck!
geoff steckel