On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 08:14:43AM +0100, Florian Weber wrote:
> Good morning
>
> Why don’t you add https://www.pcengines.ch/wle200nx.htm

Our athn(4) driver is incomplete and only provides basic performance.
This driver still needs a lot of work to get it operating at full
capacity offered by ath9k devices. However, it runs without firmware and
support is expected to slowly improve over time. My own AP uses this device.

For now, a device supported by bwfm(4) is an option where 11ac performance
is required, such as https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Broadcom_BCM94350ZAE
These devices run closed-source firmware which contains an entire 802.11ac
stack. The OpenBSD driver can drive them in hostap mode so they will appear
as a regular wifi interface. All 802.11ac capabilities are enabled but
OpenBSD's ifconfig is not yet able to display or configure such capabilities.
This is being worked on.

This isn't a perfect solution either, but at least avoids much of the easy
attack surface of a standard wifi AP plastic box. E.g. there's no Web UI
that could be targeted. Firmware-level exploits are still a concern, but
that is true for any 802.11ac device. At least I am not aware of any
802.11ac devices which do not require closed-source firmware.

You will need an M.2-to-miniPCIe adapter board to fit a bwfm(4) card into
an APU, and you will need very very tiny pigtails to plug the antennas,
which are a pain to get plugged (took me an hour). But then it should work.