On Wed, January 30, 2019 8:02 pm, John Ankarström wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just got OpenBSD installed on my new laptop, and so far, it works great.
> But since I applied the latest X11 patch, I can no longer use startx to
> launch X11, unless I do it as root, which probably isnâ**t a good idea.
> Seems like I have to use xenodm.
>
> The thing is, xenodm is so complicated in comparison to a simple .xinitrc
> + startx. There are so many files I need to set up that I hardly know
> where to begin.
>
> I donâ**t want a login screen, I donâ**t want X11 to launch at startup. I
> just want to start X manually from a simple .xinitrc. Surely I canâ**t be
> alone.
>
> Any ideas or tips?
>
> Best regards
> John

It's not really that complicated.  The bare minimum is to copy your
.xinitrc to .xsession and then just run xenodm on demand with doas.  All
the configs already exist in /etc/X11/xenodm.  Nothing requires you to run
it at startup.

Here's what I've done:
Copy your .xinitrc to .xsession

Copy (or modify in place) /etc/X11/xenodm/xenodm-config to $HOME

Edit xenodm-config and add
DisplayManager*autoLogin:  yourusername

Comment out the call to Xsetup so you don't get the xconsole window
!DisplayManager._0.setup:     /etc/X11/xenodm/Xsetup_0

Then you can alias it to run it on demand.  Alias to startx if you want.
alias xenodm='doas xenodm -config /home/myusername/xenodm-config'

Only thing I never figured out is how to make X and xenodm shutdown when I
exit my window manager.