On 2019-02-02, Rachel Roch <rr...@tutanota.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Subject line says it all really, I'm looking to hear of people's experiences
> with recent models of Dell single-socket machines (i.e. R230/R330/R340 -
> especially the newest R340, obviously!).
>
> I'm looking for a decent machine with enterprisey features (i.e. hotswap PSU
> + drives, high-efficiency power,and high quality ipmi/ilo). I'm not chained
> to Dell if anyone better ideas, but have had good experience with Dell.
>
> I've contemplated Supermicro machines, but quite frankly what I've read
> online about the quality of their iLO leaves a lot to be desired (combined
> with the fact my 'friendly local reseller' tells me their iLO still requires
> Java).

iLO is HP's name for their range of BMCs, as DRAC/iDRAC are Dell terms.

None of these from any company are things I would put anywhere other
than a separate restricted-access management network. I usually ssh
through a jump host to reach them and don't give them direct internet
access in either direction.

Your 'friendly local reseller' is wrong, current supermicro BMCs have
HTML5 web console, though I usually just configure IPMI serial-over-lan
and access them that way (normally front-ended by conserver running on
the jump host).