Hi all,

I need to compile certain big softare and want to do this as user, I am hitting memory limits, e.g:

../../js/src/libjs_static.a: could not read symbols: Memory exhausted

I read in various post and man pages, but am a little confused.

First thing, I added my user to the "staff" group, which should have increased limits, but they are not enough.

$ groups
staff wheel wsrc

in login.conf, I have:

default:\
        :path=/usr/bin /bin /usr/sbin /sbin /usr/X11R6/bin /usr/local/bin /usr/local/sbin:\
        :umask=022:\
        :datasize-max=2048M:\
        :datasize-cur=1024M:\
        :maxproc-max=256:\
        :maxproc-cur=128:\
        :openfiles-cur=512:\
        :stacksize-cur=4M:\
        :localcipher=blowfish,a:\
        :tc=auth-defaults:\
        :tc=auth-ftp-defaults:

staff:\
        :datasize-cur=2048M:\
        :datasize-max=infinity:\
        :maxproc-max=512:\
        :maxproc-cur=256:\
        :stacksize-cur=32M:\
        :ignorenologin:\
        :requirehome@:\
        :tc=default:

I see this once logged in:
$ ulimit -a
time(cpu-seconds)    unlimited
file(blocks)         unlimited
coredump(blocks)     unlimited
data(kbytes)         1325784
stack(kbytes)        4096
lockedmem(kbytes)    3957020
memory(kbytes)       3957020
nofiles(descriptors) 512
processes            128

I suppose that to solve my "memory exhausted" error I need to increase data and perhaps stack, since memory is already 4GB.

However, if I attempt:

$ ulimit -d 3957016
ksh: ulimit: -d exceeds allowable limit

$ ulimit -d 2097152
ksh: ulimit: -d exceeds allowable limit

can you give me a hint of what am I missing? apparently both "datasize-max" and "datasize-cur" aren't working, since as default I get 1GB

Thanks.

Riccardo