On 2019-02-25 11:14, Stuart Henderson wrote:
On 2019/02/25 09:13, Adam Thompson wrote:
> Use vipw to put 13 * in the password field
>
> From passwd(5)
> [...]
>  authentication, conventionally have 13 asterisks in the password field.

Thank you! Now that I know what I'm looking for, I can see the relevant
code in security(8), too.

I wonder if there's a way for ports to do that for me while calling useradd?
Another rabbit hole to go down.

Thanks again,
-Adam

It normally does already. Do you have an unusual "password" line in
/etc/usermgmt.conf?

Nope.
Ugh, although I said ports does this often in my experience, the only system/port I have right now where it's doing it is the RANCID package on that dedicated VM. I have two other VMs where I have manually created single-purpose userids without passwords that also complain (one for RT [not from ports], one for webhosting). So it could just be that package; at least I can't demonstrate any others right now.
-Adam