On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 09:09:59AM -0600, joshua stein wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 at 10:46:24 +0200, Mihai Popescu wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Does anyone observe some sound volume reduction when chromium is
> > displaying some specific tabs?
> >
> > I am using mpv in xterm with some internet radio, when I point
> > chromium to some tabs (with or without multimedia in them, I can't
> > figure out for the moment) the sound volume is dropping a little but
> > noticeable and it is coming back to normal when I close chromium or
> > the offending tabs.
>
> That is probably sndiod(8) doing its default behavior of trying to
> avoid clipping by reducing volume when multiple things are playing.
> See the -w option in the sndiod man page.

I think there's possibly something slightly off in chromium's routines,
because the drop-off happens BEFORE you even start any audio, thus pointing
to chromium always initializing the audio output even if it's not going
to play anything...

... which is a minor peeve when you're actually using audio for other things.