I understood that ipsecctl and ipsec.conf are supposed to free the user from configuring keynotes manually. Doesn't the parameter "-K" of isakmpd mean it won't read keynote policy at all?

man ipsec.conf:
     The keying daemon, isakmpd(8), can be enabled to run at boot time via the      isakmpd_flags variable in rc.conf.local(8).  Note that it will probably
     need to be run with at least the -K option, to avoid keynote(4) policy
     checking.

man isakmpd:
     -K      When this option is given, isakmpd does not read the policy
             configuration file and no keynote(4) policy check is
             accomplished.  This option can be used when policies for flows
             and SA establishment are arranged by other programs like
             ipsecctl(8) or bgpd(8).

Could you please clarify a bit further on how do keynote policies and ipsec.conf automatic keying work together? I understand an option of not using ipsec.conf at all, but I don't understand how to use both ipsec.conf and isakmpd configuration for a single ESP tunnel.

Iked doesn't have the same problem. No SAs/flows will be created if the networks aren't configured in iked.conf. However isakmpd->iked migration is painful in OpenBSD as their use at the same time isn't straightforward.

Dňa 13. 3. 2019 o 10:20 Stuart Henderson napísal(a):
isakmpd: it is a misconfiguration (but an incredibly common one), you
should use a keynote policy to prevent this.