On 04/10/2019 20:22, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
> Kihaguru Gathura [pqscr...@gmail.com] wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The message below refers. Has httpd met the particular requirement
>> 6.5.1 - 6.5.10 as shown? or is it a matter of further configuration.
>>
>> "Requirement 6.5
>> Fingerprinted versions of web software used on the website may contain
>> publicly known vulnerabilities (cf. PCI DSS 6.5.1-6.5.10). Investigate
>> as soon as possible.
>> Misconfiguration or weakness"
>>

> I have no idea what 6.5.1 - 6.5.10 of PCI DSS means because I don't even know
> where to find what is says.
I am not a QSA, and I'm certainly not your QSA. That said:

PCI-DSS 3.2.1 Requirement 6 is headed "Develop and maintain secure systems and
applications". That's the right ballpark, but 6.5 is about coding
vulnerabilities in the software development process. A web server isn't your
software development process and can't meet those requirements for you. Whoever
wrote this scanner likely means that the applications/sites you are running
*on* that server should be developed in accordance with those requirements.

The requirements that more directly impact the web server process include: 6.1
(vulnerability management), 6.2 (patch management), and any other specific
system configuration requirements. Nothing in those requirements will exclude
httpd from being used. An up-to-date httpd with a simple configuration and the
right TLS ciphers should work in a PCI cardholder data environment just fine.
The issue is going to be everything else that you're doing.