On 2019-04-10, Mihai Popescu <mih...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The ISPs either give you a typical fritzbox CPE and/or a media converter
>> (like the TP-Link
>> MC220L), but it also works fine with the mentioned SFP.  I now have 1Gbps
>> Internet, fixed
>> IPv4+v6, simply with DHCP (dhcp6c is needed to get the assigned IPv6 prefix
>> for reassigning it > to rad(8) internally).
>
> 1 Gb/s on fiber is pretty much implemented where i live now (.ro). The
> sad thing is the ISP is using GPON with ONT on client side. I wanted
> to use some OpenBSD based router but I am not sure it is easy to put
> together the necessary hardware and driver/pppoe configuration. There
> are all kinds of settings involved even at ISP side and I am not sure
> they are happy to set up for you.

GPON involves encryption keys (because the light is split off so that a
handful of other customers have the same signal as you). In the UK this
is exclusively done by a telco-provided box, they won't give you the
keys to use in your own hardware. but it just spits out an ethernet
connection that is tunneled to the ISP (typically done with pppoe, but
not an absolute requirement), and would connect to a separate router
which is either ISP-provided or your own.

(Dragging it slightly back on topic, OpenBSD works fine with the usual
pppoe setup :)