On Thu 16/05 08:55, Paco Esteban wrote:
> Hi Joel,
>
> On Wed, 15 May 2019, Joel Carnat wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've just setup vdirsync and khard to sync my addressbook from
> > nextcloud. It works but querying the local vcf is damm slow. I also
> > noticed that ranger felt a bit slow to start but thought it was the
> > software ; so I switched to nnn.
> >
> > # time (khard list | wc -l)
> >      112
> >      0m07.10s real     0m04.08s user     0m02.99s system
> >
> > Is this an issue with my VM (2 vCPU / 4GB RAM / 20GB SSD) or are Python
> > software just slow?
>
> Can't say about your VM. On my desktop:
>
>   $ time (khard list | wc -l)
>        104
>   ( khard list | wc -l; )  0.51s user 0.25s system 97% cpu 0.779 total

Is this on OpenBSD ? The time output looks different.

Replaying the whole scenario on a real hardware (ThinkPad X260), things
are a little bit better. But not that fast.
# time (khard list | wc -l)
     114
    0m02.49s real     0m01.35s user     0m01.06s system

Feels as slow as Firefox to start. Really annoying for a "simple"
console application. It requires seconds to look for a contact when
queried from Mutt.

> Ranger works just fine. It takes less than a second to start.

Ranger is also a bit better but not that much. About 1 or 2 seconds to
launch. When top or mutt are starting nearly instantaneous.