On 2019-05-27, Patrick Dohman <dohmanpatr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoping to clarify if any PCI Express SFP adapters are currently considered
> compatible.
> I've recently upgraded my managed switch & now have two SFP 100/1000 uplinks.
> At this point I consider my existing Broadcom NetXtreme 10/100/1000 ethernet
> card stable
> However testing of SFP functionality on OpenBSD & PF seems worthwhile.
> A quick search turned up a StarTech PEX1000SFP2 with the following chipsets:
> Realtek - RTL8168E
> Marvell - 88E1111B1
> Please note that I’m hoping to maintain desktop compatibility while
> implementing SFP.
> Regards
> Patrick

I suggest just using 10gb SFP+ cards if you need fibre, they're easier
to find, you can use 1g SFPs in them as well as 10g SFP+, and no need to
mess with swapping cards out if you later want 10g.

I'm using ix(4) (onboard or X550 cards) here, but there are other
options. They are common enough that you can find used ones pretty
easily if you are keeping costs to a minimum. DOM statistics (light
levels, temperature, etc) are also available on 6.5 with ix and a few
other 10g nics.