hi everyone
my keydisk is on a compactflash sandisk ultra 2 card,
which was created during disk encryption

doas disklabel sd1
# /dev/rsd1c:
type: SCSI
disk: SCSI disk
label: USB CARD READER
duid: ea53e532b5ae2a0f
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 255
sectors/cylinder: 16065
cylinders: 31
total sectors: 501760
boundstart: 64
boundend: 498015
drivedata: 0

16 partitions:
#       size           offset  fstype [fsize bsize   cpg]
  a:    16001          64      RAID
  c:    501760         0       unused

i boot my laptopĀ  (samsung np300e5A) with this connected to a card
readerĀ  connected to a usb port and i'm able to boot without a problem

I HAVE A cruzer memory stick to use as a BACKUP keydisk

doas disklabel sd3
# /dev/rsd3c:
type: SCSI
disk: SCSI disk
label: Cruzer Fit
duid: 7fe58412fc668f9e
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 255
sectors/cylinder: 16065
cylinders: 972
total sectors: 15630336
boundstart: 64
boundend: 15615180
drivedata: 0

16 partitions:
#                size           offset  fstype [fsize bsize   cpg]
  a:            16001               64    RAID
  c:         15630336                0  unused

using the backup instruction on the openbsd faq i create an image of the keydisk

dd bs=8192 skip=1 if=/dev/rsd1a of=backup-keydisk.img

999+1 records in
999+1 records out
8184320 bytes transferred in 2.251 secs (3634754 bytes/sec)

i restore the image to the backup usb memory stick using

dd bs=8192 seek=1 if=backup-keydisk.img of=/dev/rsd3a

999+1 records in
999+1 records out
8184320 bytes transferred in 1.744 secs (4690370 bytes/sec)

when i try to boot off the backup usb memory stick i get
using drive 0 partition 3
no os

i tried to verify the keydisk image  with diff using

doas diff /dev/rsd1a backup-keydisk.img
Binary files /dev/rsd1a and backup-keydisk.img differ
---

is there a problem with the hardware combination of usb sticks i use for
keydisk backup
or the commands i use especially the diff command to try and verify the image
file ?

shadrock