Hi Harold,

harold felton wrote on Sat, Jul 06, 2019 at 12:52:12PM +0000:

> > boot -s
> (only / mounted ro, other filesystems [/usr,..] not-mounted)
> # shutdown now
> shutdown: unveil: No such file or directory
> (original version, and recompiled-default-version same-msg)
>
> # shutdown.patch now
> shutdown: unveil: Read-only file system

Yes, Bob Beck@ decided that's a bug in the kernel in the implementation
of the unveil(2) syscall, and he is working on a fix.

> i started to try and look thru the code and was trying to
> figure out how/whether i could help further...  i believe
> the correct-answer, as mentioned before, is to just use
> the correct command 'halt'...  (followed by 4-sec pwr-btn)

Yes, that's a workaround for now.
To reboot instead of halt, you can also use reboot(8).

[...]
> as part of this incarnation of this box - i have some oddities
> in my file-system - so recompiling the kernel has been a bit
> of a challenge...

Sure, compiling a kernel may not be convenient on every machine.

> for now, _I_ am no longer worried about the
> problem of using /sbin/shutdown during a 'boot -s' session...

Eventually, it will be fixed anyway, thanks for reporting.

> i will continue using everything as-is since i believe that
> the system is basically running as normally as ever...

Yes, from what you said, i see no indication either that you hosed
your box.  (Obviously, i can't vouch for it being OK either.)

Yours,
  Ingo