> On July 21, 2019 6:05:28 AM GMT+03:00, bkfuth <[…]> wrote:
> > I have used OpenBSD, for years, in my computer security classes. I find
> > it best suited for these classes. The governance has never been an
> > issue. If you know what you are doing the OpenBSD community is a good
> > one.
> > Stephen Kolars
> > Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note� 4, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

To everyone who took the time to respond, your responses were outstanding; if
only a short and sweet additional page could be added to the main OpenBSD
Project WWW site (e.g., under “Project Team” or “Developers") that just
succinctly summarizes exactly what you all said.  For “smaller” projects
without formal governance I guess it all comes down to the people; I can see
how if you have a dedicated core of really good, passionate developers formal
by-laws and committees are superfluous, but then the question is how would that
be sustainable over the long term other than just by manually and personally
attracting and retaining the best on an ad hoc basis without a codified,
structured process.  But it seems to be clearly working here.

Downloaded the macppc port of OpenBSD 6.5 to install on a couple IBM PowerPC
970/970MP-based Apple Power Mac G5 machines for a class project (I just need
some decent, reliable, no-frills servers, but I wanted to try using something
other than AMD64/x86-64-based machines for a change) with very low expectations
(after trying to install the macppc port of a peer Noteworthy Excellent
Tried-and-true BSD distribution which crashed immediately upon running ofwboot
off the install ISO), but the installer Just Worked!  I don’t understand how
this project is able to maintain a working legacy macppc port with so few
developers.

All the best,
Austin

“If you want to change the future, start living as if you’re already there.”
—Lynn Conway