On Fri, Aug 02, 2019 at 12:28:58PM +0100, Andy Lemin wrote:
> Ahhh, thank you!
>
> I didn’t realise this had changed and now the drivers are written with
> full knowledge of the interface.

That is an overstatement but we know for sure a lot more about these cards
then many other less open ones.

> So that would make Intel Server NICs (i350 for example) some of the best
> 1Gbe cards nowadays then?

They are well supported by OpenBSD as are many other server nics like bge
and bnx. I would not call them best, when it comes to network cards it
seems to be a race to the bottom. All chips have stuff in them that is
just not great. em(4) for example needs a major workaround because the
buffersize is specified by a bitfield.

My view is more pessimistic, all network cards are shit there are just
some that are less shitty. Also I prefer to use em(4) over most other
gigabit cards.

--
:wq Claudio