On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 7:33 AM Noth <nothingn...@citycable.ch> wrote:

>    I just upgraded a couple of VMs to 6.6 (thanks to everyone for
> another brilliant release!) that used to manage in 256Mb of RAM. They
> crash at the stage the kernel loads with that amount in 6.6, and with
> 288Mb the kernel loading process hangs. It takes 320Mb for them to boot
> without any issues. I don't know what's changed but I thought it'd be
> worth reporting. I'm using bhyve on FreeBSD 12.0.

I recently installed 6.6 under VMware ESXi 5.5 (both amd64 and i386
flavors) and they booted fine set to only 256MB (although bootup did
take a long time).  I can't help but wonder if it makes a difference
whether you install from scratch on 256MB, or upgrade from an
earlier release.  Or maybe disk size makes a difference (i.e. if you
are loading the kernel from a bigger disk, the boot loader needs
more RAM?).  My VMs are all built with 8GB disks.

Either way, it's clear I need to increase the minimum RAM on my
VMs, so thanks for confirming my own observation that 256MB
is becoming problematic.

-ken