You might try lyx.  This is a front end for latex.  You can write
without worrying about formatting and come back to that later.  Also,
when you do the formatting, you don't have to worry about niggling
details as in word and its clones.  Just declare chapters, sections,
etc.

Lyx is an OpenBSD package.

Dave Raymond

--