> documents, but for my use case, LibreOffice has treated me well. I primarily
> use it for simple things like putting together invoices, writing articles,
> rendering documents to PDF or postscript, and reading .docx files people
> send me.

> I'm sure there's a superior way to do all this,

there is no such thing as a "superior way", there are way that fit your
expectations: i wasn't trying to convince you to use anything else that
please you but i really think toolchain that uses latex as core offers
much more opportunity than a libreoffice ones and would like to mention
it if it can help.

regards

> I have to collaborate with average people. I've thought about learning latex
> and mandoc and all the fancy tools, but I've just never gotten around to it.

I wasn't talking about mandoc but pandoc (https://pandoc.org/): you
write most of the things just using markdown format and add latex
instructions whenever you want. this way, you keep simple things simple
but you keep the power of latex under the wood.

regards
marc