On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 3:50 AM Sean Kamath <kam...@moltingpenguin.com>
wrote:

> I have a bunch of Alix 2d13 boxes.  With 6.6, I’ve found I need more swap
> than the default layout on a 2G compact flash drive has.  So, I got some 1G
> USB thumb drives, and want to use JUST those for swap.  Despite different
> attempts (setting the mount_opts to xx, setting mount_opts to
> “priority=1”), I can’t seem to prevent the swap on the boot disk being
> added with priority = 0.
>
> Can I do anything to turn it off or change the priority, short of changing
> the filesystem type?

I wouldn't.  The swap space is sometimes used for other things besides swap
(like crash dumps) so why risk breaking something?  Just add your thumb
drive as additional swap space and leave it be.  If it were me this would
all be a temporary solution anyway while I acquire larger CF cards to
switch to.  I'm a huge fan of not getting rid of old stuff if it's still
working, but when your needs outgrow your hardware, sometimes the simplest
path forward is to just upgrade.

The need for more swap may be related to kernel relinking -- it might be an
interesting experiment to see if your existing swap space is enough with
kernel relinking disabled.

-ken