On 2019-12-14 14:28, Alfred Morgan wrote:
> I have now another machine running OpenBSD not recover from a reboot. I
> thought I was having hardware issues with my two other servers (both zbox)
> and now this third one (Dell) with totally different hardware is having the
> same problem getting stuck at the boot> prompt. The problem goes away and
> boots continue normally if I attach a USB keyboard in all three cases. I
> feel like this problem started showing up around OpenBSD 6.4. Is this a
> known issue?

certainly not a universal issue...(i.e., I haven't experienced it)

> When there is no keyboard attached the boot> prompt shows a box with a
> question mark in it looking like an unknown character. Picture showing this
> on bootx64 3.46:
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/7HAqQic6GArLGzaXA

Well...yeah.
If the boot loader echoed anything, it's behaving As Desired -- a char at
the command line means "STOP ALL BOOTING, I have something special I want
you to do".

The boot loader is entirely depenedent upon the firmware (BIOS), the kernel
isn't loaded, OpenBSD isn't running.  There's not a lot that OpenBSD
can do about this -- the boot loader could "eat" all chars sitting in the
buffer, but that would make interrupting the boot process just a little
more difficult when you DO want to stop it.

However, I think there are a few things you might be able to do to solve
your problem...

1) BIOS upgrade.  Long shot, but maybe?
2) BIOS config option?  Also a long shot, but since I'd call this a
boot firmware bug, maybe some combination of USB related options would
fix this?
3) a boot.conf file should fix -- simply putting "boot" in /etc/boot.conf
should override anything in the keyboard buffer.  Need to "control" the
boot?  plug in a keyboard and hold down either CTRL key, and you will be
given the boot> prompt.

Nick.