> Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 9:49 PM
> From: "Bodie" <bo...@bodie.cz>
> To: misc@openbsd.org, owner-m...@openbsd.org
> Subject: Re: Why isn't ChallengeResponseAuthentication NO in sshd_config?
>

> On 18.12.2019 18:48, lu hu wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > ####################
> > # what am I talking about?
> >
> > https://man.openbsd.org/sshd_config#ChallengeResponseAuthentication
> >
> > ChallengeResponseAuthentication
> >     Specifies whether challenge-response authentication is allowed. All
> > authentication styles from login.conf(5) are supported. The default is
> > yes.
> >
> > ####################
> > # what does linux distros use:
> >
> > If I ex.: read:
> >
> > https://access.redhat.com/solutions/336773
> >
> > then I can see ChallengeResponseAuthentication is NO for security
> > reasons. Ubuntu too.
> >
> > ####################
> > # what else says ChallengeResponseAuthentication should be NO?
> >
> > https://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2019/12/04/5
> > ->
>
> These issues were quickly fixed in OpenBSD as you can see in Security

This isn't related to the subject.

> > 1. CVE-2019-19521: Authentication bypass
> >
> > this attack should be more mitigated if
> > ChallengeResponseAuthentication would be by default set to NO.
> >
> > ####################
> > # FIX:
> >
> > from this:
> >     cat /etc/ssh/sshd_config
> >     # Change to no to disable s/key passwords
> >     #ChallengeResponseAuthentication yes
> >
> > to this:
> >     vi /etc/ssh/sshd_config
> >     cat /etc/ssh/sshd_config
> >     # Change to no to disable s/key passwords
> >     ChallengeResponseAuthentication no
> >
> > But of course by default, without fixing sshd_config it should be NO.
> >
> > Who the hell uses s/key with sshd nowadays?
> >

> And you are aware that this option is not there just for S/Key, right?
> It's for example PAM Google authenticator too on Linux and others....
>
> I think you missed couple of points. Eg.:
>
> https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq10.html#SKey
>
> and the fact that login.conf(5) on OpenBSD by default enables S/Key.

I checked the https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq10.html#SKey

first step is to have a /etc/skey dir. So checked it:

66# ls /etc/skey
ls: /etc/skey: No such file or directory
66#

There is no /etc/skey by default. So you have to do the "skeyinit -E" as root,
etc. Same for Google authenticator, etc. So ChallengeResponseAuthentication
should be only enabled then.. when you set up extra auth methods.

So afaik skey isn't enabled by default on OpenBSD, but for still some unkown
reason (for me) ChallengeResponseAuthentication is set to yes by default on
OpenBSD.

Why?

> > So please, can we make the default sshd_config more secure and set the
> > "ChallengeResponseAuthentication to NO"?
> >

> Some practical examples at hand of the current vulnerability which will
> make this change reasonable?

It is about proactive security, to avoid future possible security issues.