Hi Henning

 Thanx for the reply :-)
How do I make sure that the master is the one that advertises the routes to avoid asymmetric and packet loss? Since these FW systems will also act as a ISPEC peers (2 permanent and some couple of concurrent road warriors) what would you estimate be a good enough hardware that will keep the load (ball park numbers will do ;-))?

TIA
Paolo

Henning Brauer wrote:

* Paolo Supino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2006-02-16 19:54]:
I started working for a company that its production site is running 2 PIX firewalls with no VRRP (to save cost on licensing, duh). I offered and they approved to replace them with 2 OpenBSD and CARP. In front of the FW there is a Cisco 7200 router doing BGP. I offered to remove the router and use OpenBGP on the OpenBSD firewalls instead, thus achieving failover on BGP too. But I don't know whether this is a good idea or should I add 2 more OpenBSD systems specifically for BPG?

in prinicple, usinf bgpd on teh same machines is fine. you should take care that the car master also is the one that announces the best route to you so that you don't get too assymetric traffic flows. otherwise you'll see performance issues and some packet loss, likely. with seperate machines for bgpd and stateless filtering that is not an issue at all. I always wanted to add something so that you can make a prepend-self 1 depending on carp state... maybe i should revive that idea