On Wed, 25 Dec 2019 at 7:41 PM, Stuart Longland <stua...@longlandclan.id.au>
wrote:

> On 24/12/19 9:16 pm, Dumitru Moldovan wrote:
> > Maybe it would be worth mentioning in the FAQ?  I could only find it
> > here: https://www.openbsd.org/faq/upgrade63.html, but then it was not
> > mentioned for newer releases.
> >
> > Another remedy is to follow the `Files to remove` section in the FAQ,
> > e.g. for 6.6: https://www.openbsd.org/faq/upgrade66.html#RmFiles.  The
> > FAQ article for the 6.3 upgrade suggests sysclean does that too.  This
> > seems to be a byproduct of the design, meaning it doesn't specifically
> > remove those files, but it should remove them, as long as all installed
> > packages are updated and no longer need them.  But this is just my
> > reading of the sysclean man page.
>
> Yeah I had done that… actually for another router VM I had to do a very
> brutal equivalent of it when it ran out of disk space mid-update in the
> installer… I basically blew away /usr/* (minus directories that are on
> different partitions like 'local') figuring it'd re-instate the files
> when it unpacked the newer file sets.
>
> This lead to some missing files in /usr/share/relink but I was able to
> re-instate those from another 6.6 VM that did update cleanly
> (ironically, the very one that prompted this discussion).
>
> So far, both have now run `syspatch`, and I've got kernel re-linking
> working on both now.  We shall see.
>
> Both VMs should probably be re-built from scratch as a matter of sanity,
> but I can do that at leisure now, what I have, works.

What hypervisor are you using? Does it support an API to create VM from ISO
images and to launch VMs from templates?

Do you have an inventory of the configuration files and the settings in
these files?

You may want to set up automation to produce a new openbsd vm and deliver
configurations into it via configuration management and then switch to this
vm after testing.

This would help you to cut over when needed, cut back in case of issues,
and have the ability to recover thanks to your automation.