[ as always, speaking only for myself but with some years’ experience in the
OpenBSD end of things ]

> 30. des. 2019 kl. 20:31 skrev SOUL_OF_ROOT 55 <soulofroo...@gmail.com>:
>>
>> *This will not be a "distro"*, but a hard fork of the OpenBSD kernel and
>> userspace including new code written under GPLv3 and LGPLv3 to replace
>> GPL-incompatible
>> parts
>> <https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses>
>> and non-free ones
>> <https://notabug.org/jadedctrl/libertybsd-scripts-mirror/issues/5>.

I would not hold my breath waiting for any kind of public, official response
from the OpenSBD project as such, but from my experience this part -- making
changes to code under the simple and permissive BSD license available only
under GPLv3 or LGPLv3 -- is almost certain to be considered counter-productive
in OpenBSD circles.

Dual licensing would have permitted merging of useful changes back to the
OpenBSD tree, while making changes GPL-only will just make the «hard» fork a an
ever more divergent variant, assuming the coding activity reaches any
significant level.

Then again, there is no way the people who took this initiative could not have
known this.

The TL;DR version is that taking code or any other body of work that is offered
to you under a permissive license and making your changes to it available only
under a more restrictive one may be legal in some or all jurisdictions, but it
is most certainly a sign of an almost total lack of respect for the people who
did the original work.

Judging by earlier discussions of similar efforts, this one too will the face
of it be just quietly ignored by the OpenBSD community.

If the parallell and diverging effort does turn up useful ideas, those ideas
will be re-thought and re-implemented in the OpenBSD way under a BSD license.

Obviously some effort could be spared if the work went ahead under compatible
licenses, but the GNU side appears to have decided against such a reasonable
path. I for one find that regrettable, but I am also not in a position to
influence either side.

> What are the opinions of the OpenBSD developers about Hiperbola GNU/Linux?

Prepare to, and please accept, being ignored. If this thread drags on, with
crossposts and all, a significant number of our readers will find it all
annoying enough that avoidable unpleasantness may result.

All the best,
Peter

—
http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/