On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 10:01:50PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 15:57:47 -0600
> Eric Zylstra <ezyls...@mac.com> wrote:
>
> > Proposing such a huge project without the ability to do it?  I may
> > have been a little disrespectful, but not the first one in the
> > thread.  And my point wasn’t to be disrespectful, but to point out
> > that most proposals unaccompanied by code and that don’t solve
> > obvious problems don’t seem to be received very well.  Apologies if
> > that wasn’t within bounds.
>
> What if the OP had instead of the suggestion submitted two or three Lua
> scripts to replace two or three Perl scripts? Would you still have the
> same opinion?

Good luck with that.

Tools in base written in perl:
- libtool
- pkg-config
- pkg_add

The libtool part is insane. pkg-config is doable.

You won't be able to rewrite pkg_add without rewriting the whole
ecosystem, because it's heavily based on a few choice modules (see
OpenBSD::Intro(3) )  and you more or less have to rewrite all of it
together, meaning:
-> pkg_add, create, delete
-> fw_update
-> dpb
-> update-plist
-> check-lib-depends
-> pkg_check-*
-> pkg_outdated
-> pkg_subst
-> port-resolve-lib-helper
-> proot
-> register-plist

There are a few other scripts which are independent of that framework,
but still that's some complicated job.

Instead of rewriting it, I would be way more interested in somebody
looking carefully at (say) libtool and fixing the missing parts...