On 9/1/20 12:56 am, Ian Darwin wrote:
>> - If we could clean-room implement a BSD-licensed
>> EXT3/EXT4/BTRFS/XFS/JFS/whatever, following style(8), would there be
>> interest in supporting that in OpenBSD?
>
> And which "we" are you referring to here? Did you mean yourself,
> or are you hoping that "somebody" will do it?

I'm hoping it will be more than one person assisting in this, and yes, I
include myself in that group.

Can't commit to doing anything right away, but it'll be slotted
somewhere in the back-log.

>…

>> ZFS and BTRFS are much newer, and more complicated with software RAID
>> functionality built in.  I think these would be harder to implement from
>> scratch.
>
> Persuade the owners to release under an ISC license. Then send a diff.

Yeah, I think there's been discussions about changing the license (to
GPL for Linux kernel use) and those came to a dead end.  I don't see the
copyright holders being receptive to ISC either.

--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.