On Thu, Jan 09, 2020 at 09:07:38AM +1000, Stuart Longland wrote:
> On 9/1/20 12:56 am, Ian Darwin wrote:
> >> - If we could clean-room implement a BSD-licensed
> >> EXT3/EXT4/BTRFS/XFS/JFS/whatever, following style(8), would there be
> >> interest in supporting that in OpenBSD?
> >
> > And which "we" are you referring to here? Did you mean yourself,
> > or are you hoping that "somebody" will do it?
>
> I'm hoping it will be more than one person assisting in this, and yes, I
> include myself in that group.

One useful thing you could do is review the diffs that are routinely
sent to various OpenBSD mailing-lists.

For instance, I have sent a few make-related diffs recently, on
which I'm still awaiting reviews.

How is this related to filesystem work, you may ask ?

Well, it's very related, though indirectly.

See, there aren't that many people actually doing the work
in OpenBSD.  A lot of it is routine work, but vital for
the project.

Queue Ingo and mandoc.
Queue me and make... and various other things.

and lots of other developers at time. Better lld support.
continuing the work started on ctf, etc, etc.

If there were more people actually *helping* instead of talking shit,
that stuff would go forward, and maybe, just maybe, us and other
developers *could* allocate time to do other stuff.

That might (or might not) include filesystem work.

Having the whole infrastructure working better would definitely help.

But no, it's way more fun to just sit there and say "hey, I only want
to do the sexy stuff. Please pre-chew it for me to baby-vomit stage so
I can be smug about it".