Hi lads,

I have been doing some testing with tap(4) and openvpn (standard ssl )
I have been using openvpn with tap and I have been trying with null
encryption. null authentication,
the performance of the tap interface  seems to be about 100-150Mb/s  on a system
which can give  3Gb/s-5Gb/s on ix(4) interfaces  in Bridge mode and
4-8Gb/s on tpmr mode
I was wondering is there a sysctl setting that if modified would
improve the tap interface performance.
I have tried with tpmr(4) and  bridge(4)

is there a simple way  testing a tap(4) interface throughput /
performance without Openvpn process

I can try mlvpn and wireguard
but I would love if there was a trick where I can just test the tap(4)
interface  with something like pair(4)...

ix0---bridge0--tap0---someprocess--tap1-bridge1--ix1
or
ix0--tpmr0--tap0--someprocess--tap1-tpmr1-ix1

is there a simple "someprocess" that would provide forwarding packets
between tap0 and tap1 in userland
so that any performance testing on tap(4) interfaces does not have the
distractions of complex userland programs with encryption /
encapsulation overheads

Thanks  for your time
Tom Smyth

--