On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 02:49:01PM +0000, Constantine A. Murenin wrote:
> Although the documentation says that it defaults to 5%, it actually
> seems to default to 10% on amd64, alpha, hppa and hppa64.
>
> Why it's not made to default to 10% on i386 too if enough memory is available?

because 5% more of 24M or 16M makes a big difference, perhaps?

yes, we care about OpenBSD working well on Really Small Machines.

> Also, it looks like "Filesystem Buffer" was in the FAQ in 2003-05-01
> (http://www.se.openbsd.org/faq/faq11.html), stating "option
> BUFCACHEPERCENT=30" for config(8), but now it no longer appears in
> today's version (http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq11.html). Is there a
> reason for that?

Yes, because people who thought they knew more than the programmers
kept twisting knobs to the max and expected things to ALWAYS be better,
and we spent too much time reading and answering "IT BROKE!" questions.

This way, we can laugh at people who break their systems in clear
conscience.

Come on, think.
Do you really think OpenBSD developers LIKE to have things go slower
than they could Just Because they like to watch people twist knobs?  Do
you think if they felt there was a better OVER ALL value, they wouldn't
set it?  Not all the world shares your design criteria.

> True, I was making a generalisation to mean any modern PC/mac. :-) It
> was almost a year ago that 512MB became the minimum even for most
> entry models.

How about this:
Consider i386 a legacy platform.
All modern stuff is amd64 compatable, anyway, right?
Wow, look at that.  amd64 (which probably will never be seen with less
than 256M due to the memory design) has a default of 10%.

The developers are ahead of you on that. :)

Nick.