Hi Patrick,

Patrick Kristiansen wrote on Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 10:23:52PM +0100:
> On Thu, Jan 30, 2020, at 21:10, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
>> Patrick Kristiansen wrote on Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 09:05:11PM +0100:

>>> The process I need to run is written in Clojure and thus runs on the
>>> Java Virtual Machine.  Do you have any suggestions on how to best go
>>> about making it "daemon-like"?

>> No, i'm sorry i have no advice on that.  I would certainly not run
>> soemthing like that under any circumstances, on any machine, and even
>> less so on any machine connected to the Internet.

> Out of genuine curiosity, and not to be inflammatory, are you saying
> that running any internet-facing service/process/program is inadvisible
> under all circumstances if not written to the standards of a daemon
> shipping with OpenBSD and with the facilities (pledge, unveil, etc.)
> available in OpenBSD?

No, i didn't intend to say that.

I do think that automatically restarting crashy daemons is a terrible
idea and hence the OpenBSD base system intentionally provides no
support for that.  I also said that i personally doubt the wisdom
of constructing a wrapper to run a program as a daemon that is not
designed as a daemon but simply using stdout and stderr and so on.

But in what you quote above, i tried to be careful to only say
that *I*, personally, would not run a Java Virtual Machine and
cannot provide advice on that.

In general, size and complexity tend to hurt security, but i know
too little about Java to say how relevant that general rule of thumb
is to the question of running a daemon using a Java Virtual Machine.
For example, Perl 5 is also a fairly large and complex system, but
it still supports writing daemons that are secure enough for many
purposes, when used properly - even though i'd probably prefer a
simpler approach when i have a choice.

I believe some Java infrastructure and programs exist in the ports
tree, but i can't help you with that.

Yours,
  Ingo