On 02/03/20 16:33, Anne Wainwright wrote:
Hi,

OK, maybe this query should be for another mailing list.

Getting mail to my BSD 6.4 server has been an issue. I have Postfix
running. The mail is fetched by fetchmail. As far as I know both
.fetchmailrc and /etc/aliases are correct.

But the 550 message shows in maillog when the mail has come in and is
then shown going out to my ISP's smtp server for user@localhost which
of course rejects this as an undeliverable address. It does not get put
into the mailbox at all.

Surely this is some small stupid thing beyond my ken! If someone can
point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

Perhaps part of the issue is that the name part of the email address to
the server is not the same as the name of the user that it is to be
delivered to. I am about to revise that to simplify things, though
hoping a small correction somewhere might make that unnecessary.

advance thanks
Ian

I'm guessing you are trying to get postfix on your laptop/desktop to relay through your isp.  If so something like the following should do it:

# postfix main.cf
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_password_maps = static: YOURUSERNAME:YOURPASSWORD
smtp_tls_security_level = encrypt
relayhost = [YOURISPSERVER]:587

Edgar