I need to buy a printer to connect to one of my OpenBSD machines
and I prefer a USB connection (as I don't control the network at
my current place).  Can I just buy any USB printer or are there
printers which do not work with OpenBSD? If so, what do I need
to check / avoid?

Any suggestion for something "cheap" (to print just a few documents
as needed)? I never had to buy a printer before, so I'm not familiar
with this area -- if possible I would like to get a printer/scanner
but I have no idea what I can buy locally :-(
A HP laserjet (which was a gift but broke today) worked only with
one of my OpenBSD machines which seemingly was related to the USB
HW, using a printcap entry like this:
usb:lp=/dev/ulpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/usb:sf:sh:tr=^D: