On 2020-02-21, Raymond, David <david.raym...@nmt.edu> wrote:
> I have a problem when I have two wifi services available, say, a hotel
> wifi and my cellphone hotspot.  Suppose I put the hotel wifi in my
> hostname.xxx file and run sh /etc/netstart and I don't like the
> results.  Removing the hotel wifi from the hostname file, replacing it
> with my hotspot wifi, and rerunning sh /etc/netstart results in the
> computer trying to connect with the hotel wifi again, even though this
> connection is no longer in the hostname file.  If I then reboot the
> computer and rerun sh /etc/netstart, it connects with the hotspot wifi
> as desired.
>
> My question is whether there is a way to purge the non-desired wifi
> connection without rebooting the computer.

netstart doesn't wipe existing config, it only runs through line by
line and adds to it.

Guessing you use "join" for the wifi network config?

You can either run "ifconfig xxx -join network" at the command line
to remove just that network, or you can add "-joinlist" to the top of
hostname.xxx if you just want it to clear and recreate the whole list.