deskless client environment with obsd works very well. But there are
some pitfalls if you don't use generic PC's as 'clients'.

I've had problems with compaq evo. They don't support A20 option at
(pxe)boot and that makes the kerenel initialization frezee.

Later on I tried with WYSE clients that worked out of the box.

If I would set up a similar diskless env today I would think of:
* mirror raid
* PATHS for client data
* Quick disk on the server, and at least 100MBit network.
* (distributed accounts etc...)

man diskless should give you a good understanding.

I wrote something for my own use in case of forgetting while I worked
with diskless clients.

and btw, life will be much more simple with a lightweight WM like xfce
compared to gnome.

you can find the doc I wrote here: http://www.openbsdsupport.org/diskless.pdf

good luck.
/bkw