On 13.04.2020 20:34, Stefan Sperling wrote:
On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 07:03:27PM +0200, Mario Theodoridis wrote:
Hi everyone.

I'm running a APU2 board with an Atheros wlan chipset.
I've been plagued by rather slow WLAN throughput rates < 10Mb/s.
Is that normal or not. If not, how would i go about debugging this?
Any other info i should provide?

Is this a new problem or has it always been like this for you?

It has always been this way. Always being on 6.2 and 6.6.

Here's an ifconfig
athn0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

There are several known performance issues with athn(4).

And our automatic rate selection has some performance issues of its own.

Ok, so i take it issues aren't uncommon then.

Also, athn(4) does not support Tx aggregation yet, and 40 MHz channels are
not yet suppored either. In practice this means the driver won't be noticably
faster in 11n mode than it is in 11a/g modes. For now, I would recommend
using 11a mode if you want it to be as fast as possible.

Hmm, using
media autoselect mode 11a mediaopt hostap
nwid foo
wpaprotos wpa2
wpakey mysecret
up

Brings the inteface up alright, but i don't see any 5 or 2.4 GHz signal with a Wifi analyzer nor can i connect.

I do want to fix all of these issues, but it will take time and help
would be very welcome.

I'm open to that. Maybe PM me with details.

Another important factor is your RF environment. No amount of bug fixing
is going to help when your channel is heavily used by one or more other
wifi networks. Ensure that your AP is running on a channel where no other
wifi networks can be seen in a scan.

The channel is available, but i am only using one antenna. I remember trying with both didn't help, though.

OpenBSD 6.6 (GENERIC.MP) #7: Thu Mar 12 11:55:22 MDT 2020

One way you could help is to keep following -current, upgrade a day or so
after any wifi-related commits happen, and letting us know if things are
better or worse compared to a previous snapshots.

I'm looking into that.

Meanwhile is there a mini PCI chipset that will do 54Mb or more in hostap mode?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Best regards

Mario Theodoridis