On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 03:53:19PM -0700, Renato Aguiar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After updating to latest snapshot, mixerctl stopped working with non-root
> user:
>
>    $ mixerctl
>    mixerctl: /dev/audioctl0: Permission denied
>    $ ls -l /dev/audioctl0
>    crw-rw----  1 root  _sndiop   42, 192 Apr 18 14:29    /dev/audioctl0
>    $

Hi,

You could use the sndioctl utility to adjust the volume, it's similar
to mixerctl.

Access to audio and MIDI related device nodes is now disabled for
security reasons. We don't want programs we run, possibly processing
untrusted input, to be allowed to directly access low level drivers
and attempt to exploit kernel bugs.

Now programs connect to sndiod which does the hardware access for
them, this has other advantages as well:
- programs control the volume of the right device on systems with
  multiple audio devices (ex. usb head sets)
- there's always a volume control, even if the hardware lacks one, as
  may usb devices.
- unified view of hardware and software controls, network
  transparency, etc

mixerctl remains as a configuration tool, /etc/mixerctl.conf is still
processed on system startup.