On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, Ryan McBride wrote:
SNIP
> In my opinion if you're talking about NATing 750 Windows boxes doing
> regular Windows-type things, you're going to want to at least at crank
> the limits on states and turn on adaptive timeouts; I wouldn't go any
> further than that unless you run into actual problems, but you can also
> think about using some of the other connection limiting features to
> prevent trojaned systems from filling the state table and impacting
> other users.

I "help" a friend out with the FW in front of their company webservers.  I
agree with Ryan's observation, one because I'm pretty sure he knows what
he's doing, two because I have direct experience in attempting to protect
Windows systems.  On more than one occasion the owner of the business has
called me up to say there's a problem with the FW, everytime they've said
that it was related to one of their Windows systems getting tilted.

> Things to think about (roughly in order of aggressiveness):
>
> - 'set limit states'
> - adaptive timeouts
> - 'set optimization'
SNIP
> -Ryan

diana

Past hissy-fits are not a predictor of future hissy-fits.
Nick Holland(06 Dec 2005)