On 2020-05-07, Marko Cupać <marko.cu...@mimar.rs> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> why not change default constraint server in ntpd.conf from current
> https://google.com to something more neutral / reputable?
>
> If https://www.openbsd.org does not want to be involved, perhaps
> https://www.ntp.org would be fine.

Neither of those are good options. One or a few servers, IPv4 only,
only in North America, not peered with many ISPs, compared to a
large geolocated server front-end, v4+v6, within a few network
hops of much of the world, with people paid to keep it working,
and ISPs will quickly notice if their connectivity is down.

The other default constraints server listed (quad9, hosted on
the very widely peered pch.net) is good for that too.

What ntpd needs for a "constraints" server is a site that
will a) stay online as much as possible and b) is likely
enough to hand out something approximating the correct time,
that's all.

I'm not a big fan of using google.com for this on my own systems so
I often just don't use it, but I can't argue that it's a bad choice
overall, and I don't have an idea for another site that is both
equally good and "more neutral".