On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 10:38:13PM +0100, Matthias Kilian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can anyone tell me wtf I'm missing in the commands below?
>
> # mkdir foo
> # cd foo
> # mkdir bin dev
> # cp -p /bin/cat bin
> # cd dev
> # /dev/MAKEDEV std
> # cd ..
> # chroot . /bin/cat /dev/stdin
> cat: /dev/stdin: Device not configured
>
> The reason I ask is that I need to run tar -czf within a chroot
> environment, but gzip(1) tries to open /dev/stdin and fails (as the
> contrived invocation of cat(1) in the example above).

~ $ mount
/dev/wd0a on / type ffs (local, softdep)
/dev/wd0h on /home type ffs (local, nodev, nosuid, softdep)
/dev/wd0e on /tmp type ffs (local, nodev, nosuid, softdep)
/dev/wd0d on /usr type ffs (local, nodev, softdep)
/dev/wd0f on /var type ffs (local, nodev, nosuid, softdep)
/dev/wd0o on /open type ffs (local, softdep)

Any possibility your FSs are mounted like mine are?
There are only two places above where I could drop a /dev
directory, and that would be wd0a and wd0o...

Nick.