Hey all,

Wow, it looks like I haven't run OpenBSD since 2006 according to the misc
archives.  I guess I got too busy with my shit corporate job which I quit
in 2014 to roast coffee full time.  And then I guess I got too busy to move
on from my comfort zone as my old OpenBSD laptops died.  But with the
current lockdown in Los Angeles giving me a little bit of time to explore
tech along with Windows 7 being unsupported I figured I'd try to move back
to my favorite OS.  I bought a pretty much unused Thinkpad X220 on Ebay
(it's in better shape than the last X220 was when I bought that one 6 years
ago, so super score).

So, I'm still refamiliarizing myself with OpenBSD and was wondering what
the biggest changes have been for a regular user since 4.0?  The first
thing I've seen is rcctl.

Also, has anybody ever reprinted the large wireframe Puffy sticker from
around 15 years ago, or still have one for trade/sale?  I still have the
T40 with my last one stuck to it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QTPhKrMraZ4m4oPUA

I'm thinking about trying to pull it off to stick it on to this X220
somehow.

I also did a little poking around last night for window managers/desktop
environments.  I used to use WindowMaker but I'm thinking about trying
something more featureful.  So far during my searching I've seen
recommendations for cwm in base, and then stuff like spectrwm and MATE.
I'm pretty sure I'm *not *going to stick with fvwm.  Is there anything I
absolutely have to check out before I add windowmaker (or maybe xfce)?.

The only problem I've had so far is I have no wired Ethernet here, urndis
was failing me with my OnePlus 6t phone and I just couldn't take the time
to troubleshoot, and I just couldn't seem to add the iwn firmware after
copying it to /tmp from my USB stick (I got "file:/tmp/: empty" after
running fw_update -v -p /tmp iwn) so I took my laptop to my neighbor's
ethernet and easily added iwn.  Running fw_update -vn -p /tmp now seems to
work fine, I'm not sure what I was doing wrong previously.

I've added chrome obviously, and am happy to see my label app on Avery.com
works fine which is the only thing other than email and Google Docs that I
really need for the coffee business.

I also just installed Audacity because I started a noise project about a
year ago so I need to do some basic sound editing.  I'll give the GIMP a
try again for my photography but I may hang on to my old X220 to use
Windows 7 and CS4 PS offline.  And now that I'm done with this email I'm
going to watch the end of Charlie Jade with VLC.

Thanks folks!  If this is inappropriate for misc let me know which forums
are best to join, for whatever reasons I'm not a reddit user yet but if
need be I'll start an account there for OpenBSD, coffee, and noise.

Greg