On 2020-06-15 11:52 a.m., Jon Tabor wrote:

On 2020-06-12 3:41 p.m., Maurice McCarthy wrote:
You could have a look at
https://www.geoghegan.ca/unbound-adblock.html and
https://www.geoghegan.ca/pfbadhost.html
Simply great! Will definitely try these out.

Merci!

George

Hey there,

I'm the author of those scripts. In response to concerns about
heavyness/memory use of DNS blocklists:  unbound-adblock is pretty light on
memory (~30MB of RAM usage) as we serve NXDOMAIN responses instead of
redirecting to 0.0.0.0 etc. By doing this we save a massive amount of memory
that would otherwise be spent mapping each domain to a black hole address. I
run unbound-adblock on many Edgerouter Lites and havent had any issues.

Regards,

Jordan Geoghegan
I'm using these scripts (or a version of them; I've had them in for a
while), and it's using NXDOMAIN which loads way faster and uses a lot
less memory.  I also slightly tweaked the script I have to include a
whitelist file, as my wife keeps finding sites that simply won't work
properly. It simply calls sed to remove lines from the
unbound-adhosts.conf file

Works great.  I also set up pf to redirect all DNS queries to my local
instance of unbound, so you can't easily bypass it (unless you use DNS
over HTTPS).

Jon Tabor
tab...@obsolete.site

Thanks for sharing, this is good to know!