On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 09:55:05AM -0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> > Disable uftdi in your kernel config (boot -c, disable uftdi, quit) and
> > see if that works. The device is attaching as a serial port, but libftdi
> > probably wants it attaching to ugen. If that helps maybe we can add a
> > quirk to knock out just this device. Send usbdevs -v output.

Hi Stuart,

That's most helpful, thanks for the support.

Unfortunately ... I fell at the first fence :(. After I enter 'boot -c' I
get several lines of output followed by a prompt. But the cursor is
flickering wildly and I can't enter any further input.

At this point the first line, at the top of the screen, is an error:
    'kbc: cmd word write error'

(This is with boot version: BOOTX64 3.52)

A quick search on the net didn't show much, apart from a suggestion that
a USB keyboard won't work at this point because the USB subsystem hasn't
yet been discovered (that was back in 2015 though). I'm using both a USB
keyboard and mouse.

Something is definitely faffing about with the USB bus though, every time
I press a key at the flickering cursor, the LEDs in my mouse light up ...

I'll try the ktrace approach instead.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Robb.