On 2020-06-26 20:03, Theo de Raadt wrote:
Jordan Geoghegan <jor...@geoghegan.ca> wrote:

On 2020-06-26 13:43, Marc Espie wrote:
On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 12:20:35PM -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:
Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi,

Unless I've got it all wrong, <https://man.openbsd.org/> will only
display man pages for programs and commands in base. Is there a way to
display the man page for a package/port I haven't installed and/or
downloaded yet? (This assumes I haven't downloaded the ports cvs
tree).
Doing that would be very annoying and painful, and very few people
would want it.  It would also substantially degrade the clarity at
man.openbsd.org
Actually, it ought to be feasible to have the same mechanism in place for
base  as a third party mechanism.

I don't think it would be that difficult to setup, this obviously ought to
be separate from the main OpenBSD installation, as the quality of manpages
from ports is often not up-to-par compared to base.

Both Ingo and naddy and I, we've been routinely passing all manpages from
all packages through groff and mandoc and makewhatis to the point that
over 99% of them would be clean for a usage similar to man.openbsd.org

FreeBSD appears to offer manual pages from ports on their man page
website: https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi

Not advocating for anything, just thought I'd point it out.
Completely irrelevant.

I thought it was relevant for folks looking for http access to ports
manpages, as the FreeBSD and OpenBSD ports trees overlap
significantly. I often use that site when I'm on a machine that
doesn't happen to have the particular package installed whose manpage
I want to view.
It is very easy for outsiders to ask a project to do more, MORE MORE
MORE, and not understand there are a limited number of people doing the
work.

So if this gets done, something else will not get done, or will get done
less well.

And it will be your fault.

I wasn't asking for anything, I was just trying to be helpful and share a resource I've personally found useful. I don't feel strongly about any of this, so consider the conversation over.

Regards,

Jordan