I've installed OpenBSD 6.7 on a system that have an athn(4) wireless
network adapter. Before setting up this device, I wanted to verify the
configuration of pf, unbound etc. which required the interface to have
an IP address, so I added the following line to /etc/hostname.athn0:

inet 192.168.10.1 255.255.255.0

This enabled the interface, which allowed pf, unbound etc. to start:

# ifconfig athn0
athn0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        lladdr XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
        index 4 priority 4 llprio 3
        groups: wlan
        media: IEEE802.11 autoselect (DS1)
        status: no network
        ieee80211: nwid ""
        inet 192.168.10.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.10.255

However, it also automatically made the interface start scanning:

# netstat -W athn0 | grep scans
1 active scans started
0 passive scans started

Is it possible to configure the athn0 interface with an IP address, but
prohibit any kind of wireless communication?

The reason for this is that I have to verify many systems with
different configuration, which requires athn0 to be configured with an
IP address. I want to do the verification and install patches before any
wireless communication happens, as I can't guarantee that none of the
devices within wireless range are malicious.

Regards,
Mogens Jensen